WHAT EXACTLY IS THE H-2B VISA PROGRAM?
The H-2B program is the only legal, seasonal, foreign worker visa program for non-agricultural employers.
WHO QUALIFIES FOR THE H-2B PROGRAM?
Employers that can demonstrate recurring, seasonal or peak labor need, and are willing to pay the prevailing market wage are eligible to apply for the H-2B program.
BENEFITS OF THE
- Unlimited labor pool – Overcome your constant driver shortages and access a constant stream of available workers.
- Highly qualified drivers – Staff your trucks with the top drivers in the profession.
- Company loyalty – H-2B visa holders that you sponsor are dependent upon the company’s employment. H-2B workers cannot work for another employer while in the United States.
- High retention rates – Workers are eager to return year after year because of the tremendous opportunity that working with your company provides. This affords you the ability to reduce recruiting costs and increase profitability.
- The applicant must be an employer with a job opportunity located within the U.S. to perform temporary or seasonal non-agricultural work.
- The employer’s need for the duties to be performed must be justified under either a one-time occurrence, intermittent, seasonal or peak-load need, and supported by compelling evidence.
- The employer must pay the applicable H-2B wages to all workers employed in the same occupation and work location, as dictated by the Department of Labor.
- The employer must demonstrate that there are not enough skilled, U.S. workers willing and available in the local market to meet the temporary need.
- The need for workers must generally be 10 months or less during any one year, and must be based on the trends/peak times/seasonality of the company. Companies may bring back employees year after year.
- H-2B employers are under no legal obligation to provide housing to H-2B workers, however it is highly suggested that employers help make arrangements for housing in advance of the workers’ arrival (Workers are responsible for paying all housing costs and related expenses.)
WHEN TO APPLY?
The H-2B applciation should be filed 120 days before workers are needed. “
The H-2B application should be filed 120 days before workers are needed. The process is as follows:
- First, the employer applies to obtain temporary Labor Certification from the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL).
- Upon receiving the DOL certification, Visa Solutions coordinates with US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) and the Department of State to secure visa approval.
- Finally, Visa Solutions arranges transportation for the most capable, legal foreign drivers available.
- Visa Solutions handles the entire H-2B process for employers looking to hire experienced international drivers. Let us handle recruiting, immigration and relocation, so you can focus on your business. Contact us to learn more about the H-2B program.